A Weekend in Barcelona


I've been incredibly lucky to be able to do so much travelling this year. I went to New York in February which was nothing but incredible and I had a little weekend in Amsterdam not so long ago. Last Friday Callum and I went to Barcelona for four days with his brothers and we had a really lovely weekend. It was hot without being too uncomfortable so we were able to forget the cold autumnal start in Britain and enjoy the sunshine for a weekend longer. 


We spent a big chunk of our time at the beach in Barceloneta. On the first night we went down to the beach to enjoy the fireworks that were part of La Mercé Festival. From where we were stood it wasn't particularly atmospheric. There weren't a lot of people around and it seemed fairly quiet but the fireworks were lovely! The next day we went back down to the same place and strolled along the sand for a while. We ended up finding a very lively beach side cafe and had some really nice food. After that it was back to sit on the beach and soak up the last few hours of sunshine.



The highlight of the weekend, for me anyway, was seeing La Sagrada Familia. I don't think I've ever seen anything that I've been so astonished by. Neither me nor Callum took many photos but the photos we did take don't do it justice. It's huge and it's the most beautiful detailed building I've ever seen. With it being quite gothic looking on the outside, I wasn't expecting it so be quite as light and delicate as it was on the inside. Again, I don't have any photos that do it justice but believe me when I say that Gaudi really knew what he was doing. It was just so beautiful. 


On Sunday evening to made our way to Nou Camp, no doubt the highlight of the weekend for the lads. Needless to say I wasn't exactly excited to go watch a football match but it was an experience. I think I was more taken with the sunset than the stadium. Callum, who felt antsy sitting on the balcony of the third floor apartment we were staying in, didn't exactly enjoy being so high up and spent the first few minutes clutching my hand (I think it was actually payback for my nervous hand-squeezing during the dodgy plane landing we had on the way to Barcelona.)

Compared to the other holidays we've had this year, this was the most relaxing. In New York and Amsterdam we were constantly walking around, finding things to do and things to see. We were conscious of having a lot to do in such a small space of time. Barcelona was much more relaxed and easy going and I think part of it was due to a lack of planning. But that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Not having researched anything meant that we could freely wander around and just stumble across things that ended up being special parts of the weekend.

Have you ever been to Barcelona? What has been your favourite holiday to date?

No comments