Summer Reads



It feels like it has been a really long summer. The weather was so beautiful for so long and as I finished my university work in June, I've had so much time to read. And believe me, I have ploughed through so many of my books. Here are a few I've read over the past months!

This History of Bees | Maja Lunde
I have moments where I obsess over certain things. For a minute or two this year that obsession was bees. I researched everything I could about bees and their potential extinction, I obsessed over the idea of bee-keeping and added bee book after bee book to my wish list. The History of Bees tells three different stories in three different eras, each revolving around bees in someway. Although not all of the three stories were that relatable (I'm looking at you, 1852), the most interesting was the story told in the future, when the bees had died out and the world was trying to adapt to the plight.


Leaving Time | Jodi Picoult
I've read a few Jodi Picoult books now but this one has to be my favourite, purely because I did not see the end coming. I love a book that I can get absorbed in and keeps me guessing. It tells the story of Jenna, a thirteen year old whose mother is missing (presumed dead) after an accident at an elephant sanctuary when she was only really young. She makes it her mission to find out what really happened and along the way we get to meet a whole host of interesting characters. It had so many twists and turns and revelations that I could not put it down!

How Did You Get This Number | Sloane Crosley
It was reading Crosley's I Was Told There'd Be Cake years ago that really made me fall in love with reading and writing personal essays. Her stories are so engaging to read and even though I didn't love this one as much as the first, the Paris story made the purchase of this book worthwhile. It was funny, cringey and relatable in some obscure way. She is my writing idol. 

Nineteen Letters | Jodi Perry
This is definitely one to fill in the Nicholas Sparks shaped whole in your reading life. It's a story about a girl who loses her memory in a car crash meaning that she barely remembers her mum and dad, doesn't recall the beach house she loves so much as being her home and has no recollection of her husband. It's a sweet story and a perfect distraction from turbulent plane journeys from Tenerife!!

No comments